Atheistic Christianity in action, Dutch style

The Rev Klaas Hendrikse is a minister in the Dutch Protestant Church, and doesn't believe that God is a "thing" or a "being", but a word for human experience. While a lot of traditional believers will have some problems with this purely naturalistic view of Christianity, it strikes a major chord with the many Christians who have come to the realisation that God doesn't really exist in the sense we used to think.

Here is a BBC article on Rev Hendrikse and his church, while here is the Unitarian blogger @TimothyJMoore's take on the subject.

I suspect that there are many people within traditional "theist" congregations who share these views. Any thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. One of the recent explanations I've heard used is that 'God is a projection', which is close to my other favourite - 'God is literally a metaphor'.

    The human experience explanation from Rev Klaas reminds me of a video from Jim Gilliam -- The Internet is my Religion (posted on Ian's site, I think)

    http://irrco.wordpress.com/2011/06/11/amen-brother/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can only be a good thing- to strip away the anthropomorphic concept of a personal God. BTW Helio, come back to Will & Testament, it needs you !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just needed to point out that of course much of traditional Christianity -including the Thomism of the Catholic Church- denies that God is a 'thing' or a 'being'/

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment - not rude or off-topic. I have allowed anonymous postings for now, but if it gets a bit mad, I might need to change that. I reserve the right to delete comments if the thread is getting a wee bit out of hand - sorry for that. However, ideas welcome!